Friday 20 September 2013

Being very SOCIAL while being antiSOCIAL


“distracted from distraction by distraction” – T.S Eliot

As you read this blog, are you aware of whats happening around you? Is someone next to you trying to get you attention while your head hangs over your smartphone or are your eyes staring at the glare of the computer screen? Are you at a dinner table and that the conversation is so boring that you decide to switch to your more social life, which is your smartphone. Is there even a conversation at the table, or is everyone too busy to interact.

So now you may not agree with me, and tell me that I need a fast track ticket to the 21st century, where everything is digital. You may even inform me that you may be on your phone because the next person is on their phone and that you won’t even bother trying to talk to them. Hey I know that few families sit at the dinner table nowadays, which some have argued that there is no time, and that you are busy.


I am not ignorant to say that now we must all just drop our phones and all forcefully talk to each other, for starters you phone doesn’t have a bad breath, and it’s much easier to ignore someone on social networks, and instant chats without being rude. Well this was true until whatsapp came with “the last seen at tab”, which kind of makes it more difficult to lie about that.



The point I am trying to make, as a society we should start to get worried when people laugh literally face to face by saying LOL. This I do not understand. Are you even really laughing? Do we even do things that make us truly happy, or are we doing it to make our friends envious and followers worship us by posting statuses? Look I understand that if like you just did something awesome in your life and need to share it, that’s understandable. It becomes a problem when I know what you’ve had for breakfast, or you are angry at John Soap for what he did. Clearly John Smith doesn’t have phone to be texted, or called. A saying I like, is that everyone’s life seems perfect on Facebook. If only.....  And the more we live this virtual world of ours, where everything is perfect, where do we find the time to live real life and attend to life’s needs.




One my favourite situations are at parties/gatherings, when you find a couple of people on their phones sitting down, frantically texting away, and lost in their own world. Like why are you there in the first place?, its obvious everyone at the gathering is boring, and that your phone gives you greater satisfaction. Even if you are a shy person, how you going to improve your social skills by being on your phone all the time, and typing LOL when you didn't even crack a smile. I will admit that the phone is now a great accessory to seem busy, or not socially awkward. When you find yourself in such situations, it is easy to turn to your phone. Yes......think back, you have done that before, and even if you don’t talk to that person in your contact list often, you suddenly say Hi. 




Maybe I am just so much of a people’s person that I find this new trend disturbing, but I know somewhere somehow, everyone needs people skills and the ability to communicate with another human being properly. I also am worried about the literacy of these phone users, as all words are abbreviated, and in all honesty could be a new language. Some research shows that social networking has encouraged students to write more, which is great, but we need to take it one step further and teach them to write and speak properly.

I could go on forever with this but, I think you get the point I am trying to prove. For some of us we have less human interaction while having more of a digital interaction, which in turn may make us more antisocial.  On extreme cases you may find that one person may be a Casanova on the phone, with all the right lines, but when it comes to human interaction, it’s a complete turnaround.

So my 2 cents worth of advice to you for next time. Take time to appreciate human interaction to see a genuine smile, to embrace that awkward moment with another human, who won’t make you upset, when it says battery low.

No comments:

Post a Comment